Children (Private)

Deciding what should happen to your children when you and your spouse have split up can be difficult. You might not be able to agree who your children should be with, or who they should see. Going to court should be a last resort. There are many other ways of reaching an agreement on what should happen with your child.

Family meditation is one way of settling differences during and after separation or divorce. A trained mediator will help you and your ex-spouse to make arrangements for looking after your children and or finances. A mediator is a qualified independent person who will not take sides or try to get you back together.

A child arrangements order decides with whom a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact (which can include through letters of telephone calls), and when this should take place. For example, if your child lives with your ex-spouse and you want to see your child at weekends, or you cannot agree which parent the child is to live with, you might want to apply for a child arrangement order.

A specific issue order relates to something specific that either parent raises about the way the other parent is looking after the children. For example, you and your ex-spouse may not be able to agree on where your children should go to school.

A prohibited steps order stops a parent from doing certain things without the court’s permission. For example, you or your ex-spouse might need to get the court’s permission before taking the children abroad.

We are passionate on client service and achieving the best possible outcome in each individual case. As members of Resolution, we provide a conciliatory approach to all Family matters and encourage out of Court resolutions rather than protracted litigation wherever possible.

Our Family Department includes members of the Family Law Advanced Panel who are able to provide specialist advice in areas of Domestic Violence and Finance applications.

For those who are eligible, we are able to offer Legal Aid in various areas of Family Law.

If Legal Aid is not available, we are able to provide high quality advice and Court representation, including on a fixed fee basis from initial consultation to the conclusion of your case.

In the case of an emergency concerning Domestic Violence, you can contact us on the following number: 020 8554 1985
A member of the team will be able to deal with your queries as quickly and as efficiently as possible.